VA Special Adaptive Housing and How To Apply
VA gives gifts to Service members and Veterans with certain perpetual and aggregate administration associated inabilities to buy or develop an adjusted home, or change a current home to oblige an incapacity. Two award programs exist the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) stipend and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) gift.
Eligibility/ QualificationOn the off chance that you are a Service member or Veteran with a lasting and aggregate administration associated handicap, you might be qualified for a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) award or a Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) gift. The table beneath gives an outline of VA’s lodging award programs for Veterans with certain administration associated in-capacities.
Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) GrantSAH stipends offer Veterans with certain administration associated inabilities some assistance with living autonomously in a hindrance free environment. SAH gifts can be utilized as a part of one of the accompanying ways:
- Build a uniquely adjusted home ashore to be gained Construct a home ashore effectively possessed on the off chance that it is suitable for uncommonly adjusted lodging Redesign a current home on the off chance that it can be made suitable for uniquely adjusted lodging Apply the award against the unpaid key home loan parity of an adjusted home officially gained without the help of a VA stipend
Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant SHA stipends offer Veterans with certain administration associated inabilities some assistance with adapting or buy a home to suit the handicap. You can utilize SHA stipends in one of the accompanying ways:
- Adjust a current home the Veteran or a relative as of now possesses in which the Veteran lives Adjust a home the Veteran or relative means to buy in which the Veteran will live Offer a Veteran buy a home effectively some assistance with adapting in which the Veteran will live
Benefit and Advantages – What to Expect
The SAH and SHA advantage sum are set by law, however, might be balanced upward every year in view of an expense of development record. The greatest dollar sum admissible for SAH gifts in the monetary year 2016 is $73,768. The most extreme dollar sum permissible for SHA stipend in the monetary year 2016 is $14,754. No individual might utilize the gift advantage more than three times up to the most extreme dollar sum admissible.
An interim gift might be accessible to SAH/SHA qualified Veterans and Servicemembers who are or will be incidentally dwelling in a home claimed by a relative. The most extreme sum accessible to adjust a relative’s home for the SAH award is $32,384 and for the SHA stipend is $5,782.
How to Apply
For more information VA special adaptive housing and how to apply – Fill out and submit VA Form 26-4555, Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant. You can access this form by:
- Applying online via www.ebenefits.va.gov
- Downloading VA Form 26-4555, Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant and mailing it to your nearest Regional Loan Center
- Calling VA toll-free at 1-800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you
- Visiting the nearest VA regional office. Find the office nearest you by visiting VA Regional Office Locations or calling VA toll-free at 1-800-827-1000
Need more information or have questions? Contact a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) staff member via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (877) 827-3702. Need to find an SAH Agent in your vicinity? Please go to our SAH Agent page to find an agent near you.